Thank you for your interest in the San Angelo Community Medical Center Auxiliary. Volunteers are one of our most valuable resources. Your kind smile, words of encouragement, and loving comfort are powerful tools that help patients get well, and we highly value your contribution to our goal of achieving medical excellence.
- Volunteers provide support to hospital staff while extending hospitality to patients, family members, and visitors.
- You can grow as an individual by sharing your time with others. Being a volunteer increases communication skills, puts you in touch with interesting people, and opens the door to new friendships.
- Being a volunteer means feeling good about yourself because you have helped people around you.
As a volunteer, what would I do and where would I be?
Every effort is made to match your talents and interests with an available volunteer position. Although many volunteers join our service with the desire for patient interaction, positions are not limited to these assignments. Many positions require little or no patient contact. Depending upon your assignment, some typical duties might include: greeting visitors, delivering flowers and mail to patients, answering phones, and escorting visitors inside the hospital - but there are many other opportunities for you to serve and use your individual skills. Primary areas of service include the Care Team, the gift shop, the Intensive Care Waiting Area, Main Information Desk, South Information Desk and the Surgery Waiting Area.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
When you become a member of the professional team at San Angelo Community Medical Center, you gain new skills, meet interesting people, and receive the satisfaction of making a difference in people's lives.
Volunteers also receive:
- A free meal in the cafeteria on the day you are assigned.
- Free annual flu vaccination.
- The opportunity to participate in social activities planned for volunteers throughout the year, including three general membership meetings. Volunteers also receive invitations to the hospital picnic and the Christmas party.
- Opportunities for continuing education through programs offered by the hospital.
- After contributing 40 hours of service, volunteers receive a discount at the Community Health Club of San Angelo and the SACMC Gift Shop. Volunteers must contribute at least eight hours of service per month to continue receiving these discounts.
How much volunteer time is required?
Volunteers give as little or as much time as they wish. Active volunteers are expected to work a minimum of two four-hour shifts per month (a total of eight hours). Many volunteers, however, choose to give more than the minimum. Weekday, weekend, and evening shifts are available as we try to accommodate all situations.
What type of training is provided?
Every new volunteer receives an orientation which includes a tour of the hospital and an explanation of hospital policies. Following orientation, each new volunteer is paired with an experienced volunteer until the new volunteer is comfortable and familiar with necessary tasks.
Do I need to purchase a uniform?
Yes, all volunteers wear the standard volunteer uniform which is sold at the local uniform shop. The approximate cost of uniforms is $25. The uniform can be purchased after you are accepted as a volunteer
How can I become a volunteer?
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer must complete a Volunteer Application. Junior volunteers must complete the Junior Volunteer Application. Completed applications may be submitted to the Director of Volunteers, located near the gift shop at the main entrance. Following the submission of your application, a personal interview will be scheduled. Upon acceptance, other requirements include a general orientation of the hospital and the Auxiliary and a free, initial TB screening test.